Sunday 21 March 2021

Stash Socks 1: Drooping Elm Leaf

I recently took a look at my stash. There's loads of lovely sock yarn that I've collected on my travels or been gifted. I resolved to use some of it up by making, of all things, socks!

As I am generally more interested in the process of knitting than the end product, I also decided that I would take the opportunity to learn some new techniques while working on these small projects.

So, taking my inspiration from the WYS Signature sock yarn in colourway Gypsophila gifted to me by my lovely friend J, first up is a pair of spring green socks with a lovely leaf lace motif.

Leafy Socks


I wanted a leaf pattern for this fresh green yarn and looked for something that would fit well for a top-of sock stitch count of 30-32. The Drooping Elm Leaf lace pattern by Barbara G. Walker (A Treasury of Knitting Patterns) fits the bill perfectly with a pattern repeat of multiples of 15sts +1 over 10 rows. I adapted the pattern for working in the round and charted it to make it easier for me to work from. (see below).

I prefer to knit socks from the toe-up so that I can measure the length fit as I go, and this suits the leaf pattern perfectly.

Pattern

This pattern is worked toe-up in the round over 62sts using the magic loop technique where the stitches for the top/front (instep) are on needle 1 (31sts) and the stitches for the bottom/back (sole) are on needle 2 (31sts). You can use two circular needles or dpns if you prefer.

The Drooping Elm Leaf lace pattern is worked over 31sts. If you need a wider sock you will need an odd number of sts (33, 35) on each needle. Make sure st16 of the lace pattern (st1 of second repeat) is the central st on needle 1. 

Toe box

Cast on 11 pairs sts using a toe-up cast on such as Judy's Magic Cast-on. (22).
R1: knit
R2: N1: kfb, k until 2 sts remain, kfb, k1; N2: kfb, k until 2 sts remain, kfb, k1(26)
Repeat these two rounds until there are 31 (33, 35) sts on each needle (62, 66, 70)

Foot

R1-3: k
R4-14: N1: k0 (k1, k2), Drooping Elm Leaf lace pattern (see chart) 2x15st, k1 (k2, k3) (31, 33, 35sts); N2: knit (31, 33, 35 sts)


continue in lace pattern until foot measures 5cm short of the final foot length.

Turn heel

Working on N2 only work a short row heel of your choice. I used Fish Lips Kiss Heel by Sox Therapist.

Leg

When heel is complete continue working in the round.
R1-10: N1 continue in pattern; N2: knit
R11: N1 continue in pattern; N2: pattern (starting on same round as N1)
Continue for desired length/pattern repeats.
K1 round.

Rib

10 rounds 1x1 rib.
Bind off loosely using a stretchy method such as Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy bind off

References

No comments:

Post a Comment