Sunday 19 April 2020

Rainbow Hue Shift Afghan Blanket



I ordered the Drops Baby Merino yarn for my Hue Shift Afghan in Mar 2019, although I didn't order any for a border as I’m not keen on black, so I thought I'd wait and see.

I decided that I’d like a bigger blanket for my king-size bed, so the squares needed to be 6”x 6”. After swatching I cast on 38st for each side of the mitred square + 1st for the corner. Having completed the first square, I weighed it and concluded that I didn’t have enough yarn and had to order some more! In the end I needed 3x50g each of the main 10 colours.

I use a purl stitch on the wrong side of the centred double decrease to give a more pronounced ridge across the diagonal of each square. 

In the end I decided that I did want a border for a tidy edge and ordered 4x50g in white (one for each corner/side). I joined the four quarters together with mattress stitch.

The blanket was completed on 17 April 2020.

 


I loved doing this blanket. The mitred squares are easy enough for mindless knitting while watching telly, while the stripes keep the project interesting. Completion of each square feels like an achievement so while the whole takes a long time it doesn’t feel interminable.

No comments:

Post a Comment